John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wrote:
It may be the only path to ground for the power supply and measuring the
voltage across it may be the way to measure current from the power supply.

A 10 ohm resistor with 1 volt measure across it represents 100ma current.
This is common practice for the way I measure power supply current.

But there are no other connections to it or the metering circuit. The voltmeter has a 6 meg in series with the high voltage and the current meter is in the RF deck.

It just seems to lift the negative side of the HV off ground and it's not clear where the negative side of the HV supply is that goes to the RF deck.

I don't see what effect it would have as a short protection.

BTW I found this really neat site with some good info on power supplies
http://www.qsl.net/i0jx/supply.html

Thanks but it seems to only apply to full wave bridges so it does not help me understand much.

js