Maybe its to prevent some surge when the supply
is powered on. If so, it's a dumb way to do it.

The negative is through the rack (chassis ground) I would guess.
I always run a negative directly, and don't rely on
the rack, I think it would be poor practice to rely on the mounting
of the front panel to provide a good connection.

Its also poor practice to put the current meter on another deck,
what happens when you want to use the power supply on something
else?

Brett
N2DTS