Tubes running red on the plate is not a BIG concern. It was done all the time in commercial service. It is when they get almost white that you need to worry. A bit of cherry red is ok. Just remember what KYV said, don't exceed the plate dissipation of the tubes.

The only other concern is the heat generated. If you run them hot, then be sure they are force air cooled properly and the components used in the construction is rated for CCS.

Jim
W5JO

Jim candela wrote:

On AM the single 813 is happy at 70 watts RF
out, but it will do 100 watts AM and modulate upward 100%. It does blush a
little but as long as I talk the red stays away.

That's about how my SB200 runs. If I run much over 100w, it gets to red for my comfort. I never stop talking so I guess I am at it's peak.

This would lead me to conclude that I could get at least 200w out of 2 813's in spite of the numbers. Not a quantum leap but worth the fun project.

Does that sound right?

js