One suggestion to what Steve posted here. Fill the tubing with sand to prevent unwanted crimps in the tubing as you form it. That will maintain the concentric shape.

Jim/W5JO

Don't forget to remove the sand before installation and blow out the tubing with compressed air. Use a source of air with a dryer on it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stevan A. White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "AM Radio Mail List" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 10:04 PM
Subject: [AMRadio] Tubing

Good guess, use copper tubing from your favorite home center store! What you see in the transmitter is more likely than not silver plated copper tubing.

When I was the chief engineer at an AM station with a 5 tower AM directional array several years ago and we rebuilt the phasing and tuning circuits used plain old copper tubing from Lowe's. I mashed the ends flat with lineman's pliers, nipped off the sharp corners using the cutter part of the same pliers then dunked it in a solder pot to tin the ends well. Silver solder like plumbers use is the best but regular resin core solder will work too, you just have to clean the sticky gunk off after it cools. Clean the ends well with emory cloth before you shape it and use a punch to cut your holes before you tin it or a drill afterwards if you don't have a punch. Whatever you do, don't use acid core solder! If you don't own a solder pot, try an old (small) saucepan or maybe a food can on a camp stove. Be sure to use something that will take the heat because silver solder has a higher melting point than resin core solder.

You've already mentioned that you need 1/4" diameter tubing so you should be OK using the cheap copper swamp cooler tubing from Wally World. We used 1/2" for our 10 kW system so you ought to be good for several thousand watts.

Stevan A. White, W5SAW
SW Commercial Electronics
928 South Crockett Street
Amarillo, Texas 79102
Phone 806-681-7228
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Our five senses are incomplete without the sixth -- a sense of humor." -- Source Unknown

Bill Smith wrote:
Automobile air conditioning line? Or perhaps tubing from a refrigerator?

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Brashear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>