Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 10:03 PM
Subject: [AMRadio] NC-183D Alignment questions help

I have a pristine NC-183D I picked up a year ago that I am finally getting around to. Have replaced all the electrolytics and sound really good. BUT...I cannot get it to track properly as I follow the alignment instructions in the manual. I can set the top frequency on each band with a small trimmer cap (this is the oscillator coil adjustment) but then according to the instruction manual you adjust the low end of the dial by moving a wire inside an inductor, which does move the lower frequency but not nearly enough to get to the frequency they say you should see. Has anyone else had that problem during alignment of this receiver, or am I missing something. Have checked the voltages at the first and second converter and they seem fine and have pulled off the mica cap across one of the oscillator coils (1.8 to 5 Mhz) and it checked just fine (supposed to be 1600 pf and reads 1615 pf). And have substituted a different 6BE6 in the first converter and still can't get close to proper or accurate dial tracking. I am 500+ Khz off no matter what I have tried. And thoughts on this one! Thanks. Van, K7VS

PS I would like to hear from NC-183D owners that may have experienced this problem or have some thoughts about what I am seeing. tnx