John. Lot of interesting stuff there. Well, it is always ABOVE the lower frequency that doesn't track. That is to say: I will use the local oscillator compression trimmer and set to the up frequency i.e. 5 mhz and then go down to the lower frequency i.e. 1.8 mhz for that particular band and in the case of this band (includes 80 meters) I will be approx 250 khz ABOVE the 1.8 mhz frequency it should be at when I run the COMMERCIAL digital readout signal generator. Then you are supposed to move a "loop" around inside the inductance coil form to get on the lower frequency, in this case, 1.8 mhz. But the best I can do in any direction is swing the lower frequency about 25 Khz which is probably about right. Yes, on the alignment regards being careful you are on the "right side" of things. In fact in National's manual they send you down to another band to check to make sure you can hear yourself on the image frequency and tell you if you can't you are on the wrong side of things. As far as the IF's are concerned they are exactly where they need to be on 455 Khz and align right up with the crystal phasing control as they should. So don't believe it has anything to do with the general alignment as it is pretty well described and everything comes out like they say it should. The idea about the additional trimmer on the other end has come to mind but you know the inductor forms would be very hard to get to without a major disassembly project probably to include removing their rather complex main tuning and bandspread capacitor.

It is hard for me to believe that the wire wound inductor coils have changed as they are on a firm coil form and in no way distorted. If you followed my first query you will see what I have checked so far. The tuning capacitor is tied to ground in several places running down the base of the capacitor and the chassis actually looks like new (no kidding) and was stored in a house in a den and covered with a sheet for the last twenty five years or so and is in excellent condition all around. I am just running out of ideas and was hoping that someone out there has solved the problem. It's sure over my head at this point. One fellow said he ran into the same thing with his and fiddled with it for several months and finally just sold it. I am not going to do that as I was able to get the tracking pretty close on the 80 and 40 meter bands by using their band alignment instructions and worrying about the tracking from 3.5 to 4 mhz and 7 to 7.3 mhz only. It sure it a beautiful receiver and the first one I saw belonged to "Onie"...W1Z?? and her OM back in 53 or 54 when I belonged to the Framingham Radio Club near Boston and had just got my novice ticket. National always seemed to have some very attractive equipment that worked well. Now, of course, they are sk.

73  Van, K7VS Medford, Oregon
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Coleman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "'Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service'" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:55 PM
Subject: RE: [AMRadio] NC-183D Alignment questions help

Is the oscillator freq on the low end too high and needs to be lower or is
it to low and needs to be higher.

Some one mentioned that the oscillator may be running on the wrong side.
You may know this already but I will state it anyway, that the OSC must be
running above the RF that you want to receive.  OSC = RF + IF.  It is some
times possible to pull the OSC with the trimmer all the way down to where
the OSC = RF - IF.  This will work where you set it but it will not track as
the manufacture did not design it that way.

Assuming that the culprit is ageing coil forms, not incorrect parts or IF
misalignment, there could be a number of quick fixes for this type of thing.
Padding capacitors can be added in series with the top end of the coils or
extra turns could be added to the coil assembly or just placed in series
with it.  I have beat up some powdered iron and put it into the coil form
with glue to lower the frequency.

John, WA5BXO