Jim. Are you talking about the small trimmer caps across the coils or are you speaking of the main tuning and bandspread tuning capacitors?? Van (already noted and tried the slow upside on the trimmers with no luck. I can get it to track pretty close by setting the tracking on the ham band I am going to use it on (75 meters). And seems to be fairly close on the bdcst band, not as good as I would like it and then it goes to hell in a handbasket! HI HI. Van ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Wilhite" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:50 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] NC-183D Alignment questions help

Van this is a problem with the 183D. I suspect the heat generated in the closed cabinet has an effect on the inductance of the coils. They are made of what looks like cardboard dipped in varnish and I had a couple of the IF transformers that were warped to actually bind the slugs enough that when I tried to move them the screw pulled out of the core.

If the inductance of the oscillator coils has changed then it is a real problem. Do be sure the trimmer caps are on the correct side of the curve as Larry mentions. It is difficult, but as you tune through the peak, on one side the increase will be a bit slower than the other side of the peak. It will rise slowly then fall rapidly or the reverse. You want on the slow side and not past it.

I managed to get mine fairly close by cleaning the contacts of the tuning capacitor and on a couple of the oscillator coils the wire is at very maximum inductance, but the dial is close. Good luck and have fun. Great receiver when is works properly.

73

Jim/W5JO

Hi,

I found on a National RX one time that the oscillator was on the wrong side. If it should be high, it was low or visa versa. Be sure that is not your case as that will make tracking impossible.

Larry
W3LW

At 01:03 AM 9/26/2007,
I have a pristine NC-183D I picked up a year ago that I am finally getting around to. Have replaced all the electrolytics and sound really good. BUT...I cannot get it to track properly as I follow the alignment instructions in the manual.