From: amradio-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:amradio-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Rob Atkinson
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:31 PM
To: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Comment from N0JEF

KJ4DJF, first, what is your name?  It is always good to have a name to
direct comments to.

I'm interested also in finding out what your 200 w. AM transceiver is.
  I am not familiar with any recent ham rig that is a 200 w.
transceiver but I am not closely following the new gear now.

What you write about operating may be true part of the time, but if
you have a signal that can be heard, most AM ops will recognize you
without too much delay.  Unless you have a very poor antenna, 200 w.
should be pretty good copy on 75 meters.  That's about what a Valiant
puts out.  You could find a clear frequency and call CQ.

Give us a bit more information like frequencies you have tried to
operate on, and what you are using for an antenna and rig.   I promise
people will be eager to work you.  There is little or no cliquishness
in AM.

73

Rob
K5UJ

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM,  <kj4...@aol.com> wrote:

> I read an article about AM use in the ham bands in a recent QST magazine
and was intrigued.

> The article even gave the favorite AM freqs.  I have a 200 watt AM
transciever so I wanted to give it a go on 80 meters.  Problem is, it seems
noone even cares to listen to see if anyone wants to join in.  The people
just short key it back and forth passing it between the click of regulars
and never seem to open it up to see if anyone new wants to join in.