Yes, a modern 200 watt radio will do about 40 watts of carrier IF you don't
get into the alc.
Some radios (mostly older ones) could not really run much over about 10
watts before they got into the alc which turns the carrier down.
The newer ones are better, at least the 756 pro's I had were better, good
for about 20 watts carrier out.
If you don't have a scope, the best way to do things is look at the watt
meter, the carrier on a 200 watt pep radio should be around 40 watts with
about 200 watts pep.

25 or 40 watts is tough at night without a good antenna.

And, you need a very big robust amplifier to boost AM power.
A pair of 3-500z's with a heavy power supply will do 300 to 400 watts
carrier I think.
I have four 813's at 3000 volts and can do 200 watts carrier tops.

There is also activity on 40 meters from time to time, 7290 on the east
coast, and when there are sunspots, 50 watts does fine!

Brett