Greetings!

This thread is bringing back memories.

Eons ago (60's) when I was servicing long range radar for the USAF
once a month the third shift crew would have to verify the proper
azimuth and elevation orientation of our antennas.  We would stop all
antenna motion, stop transmitting and crank the receiver gain full
up.  At a specific instant when the sun just broke over the horizon
we would verify if the azimuth and elevation of the antenna was
correct by using the large noise burst from the sun.  Using this
method we could get the antennas within 2 degrees of perfect
orientation.  It was a foolproof procedure because the location of
the sun was always predictable.

Ahh.... the good old days! :-)

73,
Dave _ K4DLG