Full duplex transceiver?

Back in the dim dawn of history, there used to be those who constructed
transmitters that were separate from receivers.  Although constructing
such a thing is beyond me, I would like to see someone create a device
that was intended to feed the input of an upconverter.  I can already
get general-coverage receivers at reasonable cost.  If I'm computer
controlling one or the other of them, or both, there is no real
advantage to having the in the same physical box.

I can understand why such a thing might be less than perfectly useful
for those who want a portable station, but it would seem to me to be
just fine for someone who wants to operate a fixed station.

!DSPAM:117,4bf1cfd4170036849314807!