Excuse me for wading into this
discussion.  Especially since I have not been active for a couple years.

But I did do some operating with a THD-7A + Arrow
and with a FT-817 + Arrow and I can see no
problem with the use of a audio recorder being
used as a log (at least until one has time to
transcribe it to a permanent log - whether paper or digital).

I did do paper but it was not "pretty" and I did
have trouble remembering callsigns to do that (right after the pass).
In all ham radio, individual integrity is the
bottom line for valid contacts.  If you used the
wrong call on the air the other station should
not credit the QSO as valid.  If you merely have
a memory problem and the recording can provide
backup to that...that seems reasonable.

If your personal standards find this
unacceptable, then don't, but...I think imposing
that standard on others is questionable (on a
practical level).  If you are the awards log
checker - well I can not tell you how to conduct your business.
Afterall this is NOT moonbounce.  You ask why I insert that?

For one to count a moonbounce contact as legitimate one MUST do the following:

1-copy your own callsign plus copy the other station's callsign
2-Must copy your signal report from the other station
3-Must confirm that to the other station
4-get confirmation the other station has copied his signal report
5-and usually confirm that all exchanges are complete

At minimum this is four transmissions by each station.

Aren't you glad you don't have to live by eme (moonbounce rules)? ;-)

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 12:53 PM 2/6/2011, Zachary Beougher wrote:
>Hi Joe and Group, I would have to say that if
>Michael's (K4MOA) QSO was not confirmed based
>upon remembering the call sign, 95% of the QSOs
>in my log are not confirmed. Many of us use
>recorders because of the obvious reason - we
>have one hand to hold the Arrow, Elk or tripod,
>and the other hand is busy with an HT (or in my
>case, 2 HTs).  There is no hand available to
>right call signs down. Another obvious reason
>behind the recorder is that most people cannot
>go outside and stand for a 15 minute pass, work
>__# of stations, and then go back inside and
>recall all the call signs, grid squares, RST
>reports, etc. If we could all recall all of the
>info like this, recorders would not be in
>use.  If recorders were not being used, what
>would we do?  You could either type it into the
>computer, or you could write it down on
>paper.  This brings about the question of, why
>write it on paper?  The bottom-line reason for
>writing it on paper is you don’t want to
>forget it, the same reason for a recorder.  If
>you were going to remember it, why right it
>down?  Even after taking a memory course a few
>months ago in college I can't go outside and
>remember everything.  This sounds like a lot to
>ask of someone.  Most passes are fast pace and
>crazy.  You are not going to be able to remember
>every station you worked, especially if you are
>working from a boundary, etc. In my mind, a QSO
>is confirmed when the two operators have a
>successful relay of information between each
>other.  Example:  "K4MOA this is WP3PZ, FK58" -
>"WP3PZ, this is K4MOA, EM95, QSL?" - "QSL,
>73"    To me, this is a confirmed QSO.  When
>K4MOA goes inside, if he cannot remember the
>EXACT call of the station(s) he worked, that is
>not an issue of the QSO was not confirmed, it is
>an issue of K4MOA got a phone call right as he
>walked in the door and forgot the call sign of
>the station he worked.  I know this sounds like
>a silly scenario, but it is reality. To me, a
>confirmed QSO happens at the mic, not when you
>are listening to a recording, or how good your
>memory is.  I don't remember reading anything in
>the Tech or General books about you must
>remember every call sign for a QSO to be
>confirmed. Now, if you repeated the call back to
>the station incorrectly, then it is between you
>and your conscience; but if you could say his
>call back to him correctly, but just happened to
>forget it, I would still call this
>confirmed.  If you have a base station and have
>the ability to sit at a desk and type it
>directly into a computer or write them down on a
>piece of paper, that is great, but most of the
>portable equipment ops are going to use a
>recorder. I apologize I am repeating the same
>things over and over.  I would be interested to
>hear a few other's opinions on this.  Maybe I am
>the one that has it backwards. 73! Zack KD8KSN
>-----Original Message----- From: Joe Sent:
>Sunday, February 06, 2011 2:42 PM To:
>amsat-bb@amsat.org Subject: [amsat-bb] Re:
> [...]

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
EME: 144-1.4kw*, 432-100w*, 1296-testing*, 3400-winter?
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubus...@hotmail.com