Zack,

Neither Nigel or I said that.  Burden of proof of
contact lies with the stations making the
contact.  Use of a recorder is OK (what I said),
but relying on others to log your contact is
not.  The farthest one can stretch that is if the
other station in the QSO confirms that you and
they completed a contact.  And that is not kosher
under eme rules (as I have pointed out).  But
then is "ordinary" ham radio where the rules are more lenient.

But for these contacts to "count" toward awards
such as WAS or DXCC, or in a contest, you must
enter your log.  Asking others what they heard
would be considered cheating.  If you operate
satellites for personal pleasure with no regard
to awards, standings, etc. then it matters only
to your own personal standard of operation.

But be aware that others may not agree :-\

73, Ed

At 01:51 PM 2/6/2011, Zachary Beougher wrote:
>Hi Ed and Nigel,
>
>I agree this is reasonable as well.  I don’t
>see an issue with using someone else's
>recordings because your batteries died, as long
>as you heard the QSO, repeated the other
>station's call back, etc., as I said in my
>original email.  If you aren't for sure if the
>station came back to your call or if he
>confirmed he heard you because you lost the bird
>or went behind a tree, then that's a different story.
>
>I also think it's good to have a little grace -
>we can't expect a first-timer to the sats to
>jump on and copy and repeat all call signs 100%.
>When I first started, all I said was a "QSL," or
>"copy that."  I imagine I frustrated a few ops
>who were wondering who I was QSLing. ;-)
>
>73,
>
>Zack
>KD8KSN
>
>-----Original Message----- From: Edward R. Cole
>Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2011 5:24 PM
>To: Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF ; amsat-bb@amsat.org
>Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Recorder battery died -
>anyone have a recording?2/5/2011
>
>At 01:14 PM 2/6/2011, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
>>I don't think the issue is whether or not you use a recorder,
>>packet/psk31/rtty ops are not penalised because they have
>>a computer record of the contact by virtue of the technology used
>>for that mode. If a voice recorder is part of your
>>shack, that's fine.
>>
>>The issue is having to ask others if they heard your QSO and can
>>tell you the details.
>>If you chose technology to help you, fine. If your technology fails,
>>so does the QSO. It's not acceptable to expect the
>>rest of the world to be your log keeper.
>
>I agree with this!
>

>73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
>BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
>EME: 144-1.4kw*, 432-100w*, 1296-testing*, 3400-winter?
>DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubus...@hotmail.com

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45