There are some very good reasons to NEVER use FM on a linear
transponder, especially FO-29 and AO-7.

Since FM is running a constant carrier, it sucks all the available power
away from other users on the transponder, and makes the transponder run
a full-carrier on the output.

This is VERY hard on the power system of a satellite that was never
designed for it, and particularly hard on the batteries of an older bird
like FO-29.

Since AO-7 is running entirely on its solar cells, forcing it to
transmit a full carrier would drag the system voltage down to where it
would probably reset the satellite, and possibly cause other damage.

If you want to run FM, stay on the FM satellites and keep off the linear
birds!

Jim  KQ6EA