From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Bill Dzurilla
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:30 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: FO 29 help

It sounds like you when you are hearing your distorted voice it is some
cross-mod from your own radio rather than a downlink signal from the bird.
I assume you are using a diplexer to split the coax from the Elk to 2m and
70cm, and then running coax to each output on the TS-2000?  The diplexer may
not be providing adequate isolation.

The center of the FO-29 passband is 435.85, not 435.8, so as the bird is
approaching you most of the SSB signals will be at .85 and higher, you need
to tune around.  Signals from this bird are usually quite loud, so there
must be a problem if you are not hearing anybody.  This bird is
under-utilized but there are usually at least a couple of people on.

I am also using an Elk with fixed elevation (12 degrees) and it works great
with my FT-847, can work FO-29 almost to the horizon.

73, Bill NZ5N