On 30/11/11 13:34, Trevor . wrote:

Current research is based on platforms between 17 and 22 km high. At that
height they could provide coverage over a radius of up to 500 km.

Roughly equivalent to NVIS HF communications, then.

In the UK we have the drawback that aeronautical amateur radio systems are not
permitted by our regulator.

Ah, but there you are making the assumption that we'd tell them what we were going to do! This is the classic mistake when dealing with Ofcom or anyone else for that matter.

If Ofcom are going to get upset about airborne repeaters, then maybe before they get too involved in that they should turn their attention to some of the noisy idiots on the terrestrial ones.

--
Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ