From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Gordon JC Pearce
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:41
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Satellite Satire

On 30/11/11 01:46, Andy Kellner wrote:
> Hmm, unlikely I would say:
>
> A typical WX ballon goes up to about 30 km, maybe 50 km if you get a high
performance one.

You know, from 50km up you can see a fair chunk of the earth.  While it
might not be as cool as flying a satellite, a balloon-lofted repeater
could be quite good fun.  What next, though?  Well, maybe a UAV-lofted
repeater.  I wonder how well a combination of a balloon for the heavy
lifting with a UAV-based payload for station-keeping would work?

--
Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ