From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Dave Guimont
Sent: Thursday, 2 February 2012 18:29
To: Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: GPS Time observation

Interesting question, Vince...am sure someone on here will be able to
answer it. I know at one time the civilian population was restricted
from the most accurate location, and as I also remember the military
accuracy was within a centimeter if several observations were
taken...Nice to see your smiling face on here, my friend...

Anyone?

73 Dave

>I have an old GPS unit, a Magellan explorist 210. It's fairly
>accurate determining position. After it has acquired about eight to
>ten satellites the position error averages between 20 to 35
>feet.  Now the question, the other day I was looking at one of the
>information pages the unit can display and on it, it gives the time
>in UTC. Just for fun I thought I would see how close the time was to
>WWV. I was surprised to see the unit was between one to four seconds
>off over various tests compared to WWV. IS this typical of all GPS
>units or do some display the time of day more accurately?
>
>KB7ADL

            73, Dave, WB6LLO
                dguim...@san.rr.com

                    Disagree: I learn....