Ahhh...., yes. "UTC". That's what I meant by "Earth Time".

Need...more...coffee...

73, Jim

On 02/02/2012 08:44 PM, jmfranke wrote:
The difference between GPS time and UTC is adjusted as necessary. The adjustments come in the form of leap seconds and are added when needed at the end of June or December. The difference between GPS time and UTC is currently 15 seconds. There will be a leap second added this coming June 30. What is being seen is the casual user GPS receiver software does not put a high priority on time display.

John  WA4WDL

From: "Jim Jerzycke" <kq...@verizon.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 3:18 PM
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: GPS Time observation

I think this has something to do with "GPS Time" vs "Earth Time".

IIRC, GPS time doesn't take into account the Leap Seconds that have been added to Earth time since the first GPS satellites have been launched. I think some of the newer receivers can compensate for this, but I'm not sure.

It's been about 14 years since I last worked in the GPS industry, and I'm a bit rusty on all the new stuff!

73, Jim  KQ6EA