I didn’t reference the McDonald study in my reply, but I too am not
particularly persuaded by the conclusions.

“Many think it means they will not be tracked at all, including collection”

suggests to me a fundamental lack of literacy among the users surveyed about
what data that browsers pass with HTTP requests.