Thanks all, the browser is working behind the proxy, seems related
with multiple SDKs on the same machine messed up the proxy configs of
the emulator(a guess).
Refer :
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/5bf421494daf6784/cfcc4ad406134b14#cfcc4ad406134b14

If anyone knows the reason please update.