I'd say that an important point is that the emulator uses a software
OpenGL renderer, while virtually every handset in the wild does OpenGL
in hardware. In my experience, you just cannot rely on the emulator to
accurately render OpenGL as a hardware device would. The emulator is
"sufficient to test code for correctness," as SChaser said, but it is
not a pixel-perfect image of what you'll see on a handset. Most of the
time, it's pretty close, but if you're seeing something funny you
really need to test it on hardware before you go chasing through your
code.

Something else you've probably noticed is that the emulator's OpenGL
is SLOW. I know, the emulator is slow anyway, but the OpenGL seems to
be the worst part. Again, the emulator should generally show you
*whether* your OGL code runs, but not how well or how fast it runs.

So as a starting point, you need at least one handset to test on, and
the G1 is probably as good of a "reference" set as any. Unfortunately,
there are also issues with how different hardware renders the same
OpenGL scene - I've chased plenty of these myself. My advice is that
you really could do with at least two handsets for testing OpenGL: two
different resolutions (say HVGA and WVGA), from two different
manufacturers. So a G1 and Droid/Milestone would be a good pair, for
example. The question is, does the budget for your project justify
that?

String

My experience over the past year