The issue isn't what else is running on the computer.  The issue is
that Eclipse gets into an unrecoverable state where it lags horribly
when switching between editors, at least on OSX.  I can typically go 5
or 6 hours of steady use (more with intermittent use) until that state
kicks in for me (MacBook Pro, 4GB, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo).  Quitting other
apps at that point doesn't make any difference.  The resource leak
explanation is the only one that makes sense given my observations,
which are daily since I do this to pay my mortgage.