On 08/04/2010 05:00 PM, Kaj Bjurman wrote:
I think it was stated previously in this thread. The problem isn't
Eclipse. The problem is the Android plugin.

I would agree on that one, I use Eclipse for Flex and although there are other kinds of issues there, the Andorid plugins appears to be the culprit.

I'm using Eclipse more
than 8h per day at work, and I don't have any problems there (I'm not
doing any Android development at work). I can also use Eclipse at home
without any problems if I never switch to the design view, or edit
Android xml files.

This is what I did not experience. I could work full time in an Android project for a week with a fair bit of editing Android XML files (though minimally in the design view). This was on a MacBookPro with 4GB of ram, running Ubuntu 9.10 - note that for various reasons I was using the 32bit version and hence needed the PAE kernel. I doubt the PAE makes a difference, but 32bit might?

Switching to design view or editing xml files means
that my Eclipse (tested several different versions) craches within one
hour. Often several times per hour, and it's always a related to a
memory problem, and it's due to leaking handles. Looks like it's
either directly related to editing, or generation of R.

(And I'm having a 64 bit machine with 8 GB of RAM)

Ouch! That *IS* bad. I can see why you get frustrated from that. I thought I had a bad time when I was only on 3GB for a while, but even then I'd be OK for at least 4 hours. Obviously our context differs. I'm using Galileo, btw. Seemed like an improvement over Ganymedes overall, but I doubt the plugin works differently.

Mad thought: On a 8GB system you could run a Vmware/VirtualBox installation with 4GB of what I outlined above to see if it works better (I do that trick for a mobile platform that doesn't fully support Ubuntu yet).

        Your mileage varies! / Jonas