On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 4:23 PM, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Treking.... what YOU are not getting is that for the VAST majority of
>> consumers too much information is BAD for sales.
>>

> Believe me, I get that. What I guess I'm not getting across is the simple
> point that there is NO REASON WHY WE SHOULD BE FORCED TO THIS SMALL OF A
> DESCRIPTION. THAT'S IT. Why is this so complicated?

It is not complicated, we're not drooling morons. No one (recently) is
arguing that we couldn't use more space.  We're discussing how to live with
it and why it shouldn't be a big deal if your description is targeted
properly.

But I'd dearly love a "changelog" section.... Who couldn't use one of those?
> =)
>

> Not me ... I have a website for that ... I wouldn't want to "overload" the
> "typical user" with "too much technical information" ... >=)

Droll. Very droll. What's the first thing that people do when an app comes
up as 'available for update'?  Everyone I've asked (techie and non-techie
alike) says "So, what's changed this time?"  Thus, changelog is a happy
thing for everyone (that I've asked).

You are thinking like a tech/developer and that IS BAD MARKETING...

> I AM a tech/developer! I'm also a user of the Android Market and I HATE
> seeing blit.ly links in the description, etc, etc.

But what you're not seeing is that 99+% (a number pulled out of my rear, of
course) of Market users are _not_ developers.  What *you* love or hate is
immaterial to the "best" manner in which to use your 325 (or 325k)
characters.  If you had your 100% best TreKing-approved (developer-friendly)
description on the Market, it'd be targeted at < 1% of the user-base.  (Yes,
it should be your choice to do it if you wanted to. We're not arguing that
either.)  What we've been trying to say is that level of detail would
alienate an awful lot of people and we (at least I) posit that the number
you'd lose from information overload would far outweigh those you'd gain
from having all that info up front.

The points that I (and others) have been trying to make are:

1) We're trying to help you to see that you're not looking at this from a
"typical" user's perspective, and if you don't, "your" (read: typical) app
uptake may suffer. (Yes, yours apparently are doing quite well....
*With*the 325character limit. It sounds to me like more characters
could only
*hurt* your apps! ;))
1a) You're looking at the market through a developer bias. Most people don't
look at it that way.
2) I never claimed we couldn't do with more space. I was just saying that we
can make do with what we have if we have to.
3) We've been trying to explain this to you through analogy... Sadly, rather
than recognizing parallels, you've focused on the specific ways they
differ.  Things don't have to be completely the same to be able to have
enough similarities that they are relevant as points of comparison.

This discussion has gotten rather nebulous. Let's bring it back to basics.
You primarily seem to be saying:

"I want to be able to have > 325 Characters in order to throw more
information at people.
Whether I provide too much information should be my choice.
My apps will sink or swim based on my decisions."

You know what?  No one's disagreeing with you.

--PhillW