> Yeah there we are.  As far as I can see, the next step in preventing piracy
> is to not allow users to install apps outside of Market at all.
>
> We're not going to do that.

That's not what I was picturing.  Isn't there some way that we could
do both?  Apps downloaded from market could be encrypted and only
decrypted by the OS when used (in real time, never decrypted and left
as an open APK on the device).  I guess what I'm looking for is the
market to encrypt and sign an APK in real time for a particular user/
phone when downloaded.  Each download would result in different bytes
for each user/phone

This doesn't necessarily preclude the installation of unencrypted apps
does it?  I totally agree that we need app distribution capabilities
outside the context of Android Market -- it's a necessity for an open
platform.

In a nutshell, what I'm hoping LVL can grow into is a system that
packages license verification in a way that is really really hard to
remove.  It seems like we've got half of that equation nicely under
way with LVL in its current form.

Dave