On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com>wrote:
>
>> - See if having them clear data first before trying to uninstall solves
>> the problem.
>>

> I'll have someone try this next time I get an email and report back.

OK, so had two more emails yesterday and told them to clear their data by
going through the manage applications screen. I made no mention of
uninstalling and re-installing. One got back to me last night and confirmed
that this worked for her. I did not hear back from the other, which I assume
means she's happy and it worked for her as well.

So, apparently a complete uninstall is not necessary - there's something
wrong in the data. So now the question is what's going wrong in the app data
that would cause the app code to return null pointers on stuff that's not
relying on app data?

Side-note, after several more reports in the dev console and comments about
force close issues, I decided to put out another update instructing people
to uninstall - reinstall. This was, of course, just 10 minutes before the
nice lady got back to me and let me know clearing data worked.