On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Kumar Bibek <coomar....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, but this might not be a fool proof method. Say, a competitor dev can
> easily go and mark a new entrant as spam, and leave negative comments. 15-20
> such comments and spam flags would obviously be a disadvantage for the new
> app.

Of course, but in my mind it would take a considerable amount of "votes" to
get one ejected - certainly more than 15-20, which still would require a
dedicated effort by either a lot of individual competitors or a single
company instructing their employees to use such tactics, which one would
hope is the exception, not the norm.

And of course there would be other criteria. For example, if one developer
has 200+ apps, with an average rating of 2 stars and each app has been
flagged as spam at least 100 unique times over the course of time, it's fair
to assume they're worthless spammers.

I'm sure some clever Google Engineer could come up with a fairly reliable
algorithm for Market spam detection.
A "20% time project", perhaps?