Also, app markets have (unfortunately) become a numbers game in the
eyes of the public. It's important for Google to be able to say they
have 150,000 (or whatever) apps in the Market; clearing the dregs
would drop that number considerably, probably by an order of
magnitude. Although this would probably be a better situation, for
both devs and users, it's a net loss on the mindshare front. And
that's not unimportant to the decision makers.

String