I made a simple countdown timer and it works as expected when plugged
in via usb for debugging but when I take it off debugging and the
screen goes off either time out or power button the handler fails to
fire at the end time. I have created a custom timer class that gets
created from the main activity when needed, because its able to have
multiple countdowns running at the same time. Am I right in thinking
that the handler just gets paused when the screen goes off and if so
what are my alternatives. The activity is still in the foreground and
I assumed the handler would still fire if the screen goes off.