Paul,

You don't need a Service or a Handler to handle events from Alarm Manager - just a Broadcast Receiver. It's even better, in that Android guarantees to hold a wake lock for the duration of your receiver's onReceive.

-- Kostya

28.11.2010 18:59, Paul Townsend ?????:
Hi guys thx for your help, been playing around with it and I tried setting up a service which works, but this will run in the background all the time so if I use an alarm manager how accurate is it can you set one for say 30 seconds time, or is it still bad to use a service even though all its doing is waiting for handler.post() to come along to play a sound. The timer is designed to have several times per timer so each timer will finish several times, i.e pyramid splits, and can have many timers