On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:42 PM, John Gaby <jg...@gabysoft.com> wrote:

> So, it is possible to setup the intent so the app does not appear on the
> desktop?

Let's clarify - on Android there's the HomeScreen (which more closely
resembles a "desktop") and a Launcher, where the apps are stored. The user
controls the appearance of apps on the HomeScreen. Your manifest controls
the appearance of icons in the Launcher.

You would omit this:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Intent.html#CATEGORY_LAUNCHER
and include this:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Intent.html#CATEGORY_BROWSABLE
so the user can launch it from the Android Market (or, I would assume, other
app-launching apps)

> If so, how does the user run it for the first time (to install the add-on)?

Include the above category and they can open it from the Market, after
installing.