First, let me point you at this RFE:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?fid=2d69022f36ab6f460004994e8be08b82&hl=en

I've noticed the LVL library has (and talks about) using a double
license check.
You could actually use this kind of pattern to add license levels to
your app in the way your talking about doing. The consumers act of
buying and installing would flag a feature in your db.

I've also been considering another approach where your main app would
look up features in a content provider. This has the advantage that if
the enabling app was uninstalled, you would no longer be able to
access the new features. Also, your users would not get duplicate
icons in their launcher if you don't provide a main activity.

- Brill Pappin