I was able to enable a secure element the other day by messing around
with this external/libnfc-nxp library. I enabled SMX (SmartMX) in the
config headers, and upon booting and monitoring `adb logcat` during
boot I saw 1 secure elements (a SmartMX one) had been enabled. I was
then able to change the mode in NfcService.java to card emulation
mode.

The Nexus S is now emulating a MiFare Classic 4k card. However, I am
not able to read sectors from the card directly. I've been trying to
use the micmd tool to do that but things act pretty strangely. For
example, I tried to read block 0 and micmd tells me "Could not read
the data block! Tag halted, reconnecting..." but what's even stranger
is that at that point, 'adb logcat' shuts itself off. As if that read
command somehow interfered with USB or logging?
However trying `a` commands to authenticate in micmd always works for
some reason and it'll even pretent to write and persist data to
blocks; but of course that data never actually gets persisted to the
emulated card. Maybe this is a bug in micmd?

Does anyone know if the Nexus S hardware (or its PN544 NFC chipset)
even contains a hardware secure element like SmartMX? I tried also
enabling UICC but that didn't seem to work at all and NFC service
wouldn't even start in that case. Plus my SIM card is MANY years old
and not sure it'd even work...

Either way, I used libnfc.org's `nfc-mfclassic` tool to dump out the
contents of that emulated 4k card. It is here: http://pastebin.com/zKZ2ELcw

Seems to be entirely blank which is why I'm wondering if these aren't
some default values it would spit out anyway even if no SmartMX module
existed?

If anyone has any more insights into this, I'd be very happy to hear
them.

-Nemanja