Not to mention that testing OpenGL games is impossible.  The only way
to test on devices is users, otherwise it's just a guessing and hoping
for the best.
In any case, I don't care WHY the emulator is so slow.  Hopefully
they'll make it fast in the near future, the iPhone emulator is much
better.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Jonathan Foley <jonefo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As Dianne mentioned and others have before, the bottleneck is the
> dynamic translation of ARM opcodes to x86 opcodes. Other VM's like
> Vmware emulate hardware, but they are still executing code natively
> albeit with some hypervisor that itself has direct hooks within modern
> processors. The WebOS and WP7 and iOS emulators are all running builds
> compiled natively for x86 so they are fast. The Android emulator does
> not, though I don't see why it couldn't be. The emulator is unusable,
> I only use real devices except for UI assessment on smaller screens,
> though I use that less and less as the UI builder/previewer becomes
> more feature rich.
>

> Jonathan
>

> On Jan 28, 11:19 pm, Marcin Orlowski <webnet.andr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > All I was trying to say that emulating of 1GHz of any non native code
>> > at the instruction level will be slow on a 2Ghz host.  I'd bet if you
>> > tried to run a PacMan 8-bit CPU at 1GHz, it wouldn't emulate at full
>> > speed or even come close.
>>
>> 8-bit or not is not directly related to possible emulation speed. And
>> this is just type of architecture which is not
>> the only factor that influences the whole process (and yes, you can
>> run 8-bit pacman full speed on far slower devices - i.e. Spectrum
>> emulator on Palm phone (which is 300MHz). I believe in case of Android
>> the bottlenecks is not just different architecture but also a GPU
>> support (or lack of h/w support of such) which hits performance badly.
>> In general I believe it would help if Google could just spend a few
>> bucks and simply hire bunch of folks from "emulators scene".

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24
Android 2D MMORPG: http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/,
http://www.youtube.com/user/revoltingx