It's easy to say that until you have actually written an OpenGL game for Android. Running at seconds per frame instead of frames per second means you can ONLY test on real hardware. On real hardware my game (Tank Recon 3D) takes over 5 minutes to load in the debugger (30 seconds on BlackBerry). Even working with these limitations you also have to develop for the different OS versions and screen sizes.

Now I understand what you're saying with the emulation but this blanket answer is getting kind of old. Stop giving the 'You can't get there from here' answer and try and figure something out. The BlackBerry emulators route the OpenGL calls to the desktop PC and allow you to choose the level of acceleration. Maybe this is something that can be looked into. Sure I know you're not getting a 1:1 mapping but it does allows you to develop. How about making a new driver backed by the desktop GPU and give some way to select it?