iOS simulator is fast because XCode builds an X86 binary and because
iPhone and OSX both run basically the same OS, there is no actual
emulation happening, mostly just API mapping... It's running as a
mostly OS-Native binary.

Unless you want to develop your apps in Android itself on your desktop
on an ARM CPU, you should understand that there will be a performance
penalty for emulating the an ARM CPU on x86.  One way to make it
faster is to build an Android x86 emulator and stop emulating
operations, instead using the CPU natively.  It seems as if there is
progress in that area, even if it's not all from Google.