Thanks; I was seriously considering starting something, but won't have time
for a few days, so I'm glad you dove in.  I'd be pleased if you added me to
the project.

I do have one little quibble -- 'defect'. While detecting defects is perhaps
the most important use case, I don't think we want to limit it to defect
detection, and I think it somewhat biases the model.

I think it's better to think of it as device attributes, which can include
defects, but can also include corrected screen dimensions, camera color
model information, actual measured optical resolution, accelerometer
sensitivity and noise floors, icons that match the icons on the buttons on
the device to plug into your help text...

Defects are the place to start, though -- the most bang for the buck.