The code sample you linked to should work.

The basic idea is that you continuously put your image to a new
position according to the coordinates that you obtain through
ACTION_MOVE to give the illusion of dragging.
In ACTION_UP you check whether the finger position is close to the
target.
in ACTION_DOWN you can remember the initial finger coordinates so that
you can grab your icon everywhere correctly.

Basically you have to code everything by yourself, but it should not
be very difficult.

Peli
www.openintents.org