Joel, thanks for your help, but I unfortunately I can't help you help
me because I don't have root, so I can't install busybox and I can't
give you a meaningful file listing with so many directories being
denied access. I didn't see anything interesting in the log, and btw
ls hung while (or after) it was listing ./sys/bus/platform/devices. I
guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do a factory reset :(

Cheers,
Stoyan