I am also seeing similar behavior.  Market now shows using 21MB.  I
thought it might be related to the apps that I had installed, so I
uninstalled three applications of varying sizes...the biggest being
3MB.  Market still showed using 21MB.  I have formed the suspicion
that there is a bug in the Market application.  I am concerned that
the Market size is related to the number of applications available in
the Market.  As a result, I do not plan on opening the Market
application any more until I have read something that convinces me
that my suspicions are wrong or that they were correct and the problem
has been fixed.