On Monday, February 13, 2012 4:12:17 PM UTC-5, Spooky wrote:

> Aside from that, though, you're right...if you don't have the advertising
>
> budget, can't get it reviewed (I have *NO* idea what it takes to get that
> done), and the new app announcement forums don't get you anywhere, your
> apps will go unnoticed (like my more recent ones have) and, if it's a
> paid app that you've spent a lot of time on, well, you probably wasted
> that time.  Yeah, it sucks...massively.  And from what I've heard, that
> was the intention behind google's doing that---to limit the Market to the
> major devs (no indies) with massive budgets.

I have to disagree with this, speaking just for myself.  I am an "indie"
developer who does Android stuff mainly for fun, and in my spare time.
 It's been profitable beyond my modest expectations, and I have zero
marketing budget.  I truly feel that the market is democratic and a
meritocracy based on my limited experience.    When I have launched apps
that in my estimation have a broader appeal than others, they have done
better and have placed higher in the ranks, than ones that I felt would be
more limited in appeal.  The stats seem to bear it out.  It has taken a
while sometimes for an app to gain critical mass (and sometimes blogs have
picked them up eventually... I did try to tell blogs about my first app
when I launched it to no effect...), but I think if you create something
that people will enjoy and there is a need for it in the marketplace,
people will find it, and it will eventually do well, and then tail off at
some point perhaps.  I've seen a few of my apps go from page 2 or 3 of
certain keyword searches to the top spot over time, without my
intervention, just based on downloads/purchases/ratings over time.  I'd
like to think that that's because of the work I put in to make a good
product, and word of mouth at play, rather than random chance.

If you create something compelling and unique, I truly believe that people
will find it eventually, whether it be a smaller or larger niche of the
marketplace.  Again, I'm just one of the little guys, but I have to say
I've been enjoying the ride.  Some things have been frustrating, but
they're the same things that everyone gets frustrated about, I don't feel
the "deck is stacked."  Large developers with big marketing budgets (and
development budgets) will dominate the featured section, but I expect that,
typically their products have a mass appeal and are quite polished.