The program is this:

package com.needham.RxBcast;

import android.content.BroadcastReceiver;
import android.content.Context;
import android.content.Intent;
import android.util.Log;

public class RxBcast extends BroadcastReceiver {

private static final String TAG = "RxBcast";
private static final int NOTE_ID = 1;

@Override
public void onReceive(Context c, Intent i) {
// check and handle registerable actions
String act = i.getAction();
Log.d(TAG, "Rxd "+ act );
if( act.equals(i.ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED) ) {
Intent si = new Intent(c, PiesOfCodActivity.class );  *** see error
below
si.addFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK);
c.startActivity(si);
}
} // onReceive

}

The compile error:
* PiesOfCodActivity cannot be resolved to a type

The error essentially is that the RxBcast cannot be aware of an
external app that exists on an Android somewhere.  The
PiesOfCodActivity is a retitled "helloworld" that works just fine on
my Android.
Perhaps there is some sort of intent construction where the app-to-be-
is a string that represents future runtime intentions.
Thanks for all of your good thoughts and help.

Tom B