That's one error and certainly explains the class not found exception.

I'm not sure but you also might need a default category for the activity definition.
<category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />

What do you mean by you have to debug as an Android? Of course you have to run the code on a device to debug it. Also you won't be able to attach the debugger to your receiver because it will fire before the DDMS is attached.