It is the program you sent me.  I noticed that I have to debug as an
Android to get the
Log.d  statements to work.

package com.needham.RxBcast;

import android.content.BroadcastReceiver;
import android.content.ComponentName;
import android.content.Context;
import android.content.Intent;
import android.util.Log;

public class RxBcast extends BroadcastReceiver {

    private static final String TAG = "RxBcast77";
    private static final int NOTE_ID = 1;

    @Override
    public void onReceive(Context c, Intent i) {
        // check and handle registerable actions
        String act = i.getAction();
        Log.d(TAG, "Rxd7777 "+ act );
        if( act.equals(i.ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED) ) {
            Intent si = new Intent(c, PiesOfCodActivity.class);
            si.addFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK);
            c.startActivity(si);
        }
    } // onReceive

}

package com.needham.RxBcast;

import android.app.Activity;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.util.Log;
import android.widget.TextView;

public class PiesOfCodActivity extends Activity {

        private static final String TAG = "RxBcast77";

        Log.d(TAG, "POCA777 "+ savedInstanceState );
           super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
                TextView tv = new TextView(this);
                tv.setText("Hello, Pies of Cod!");
                setContentView(tv);
    }
}
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
    package="com.needham.RxBcast"
    android:versionCode="1"
    android:versionName="1.0" >

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="7" />
<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED" />

<application
         android:icon="@drawable/ic_launcher"
         android:label="@string/app_name" >
<activity
             android:name=".PiesOfCodActivity"
             android:label="@string/app_name" >
<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
</intent-filter>
</activity>

<!-- android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED -->
<receiver android:name="com.needham.PiesOfCod.RxBcast" >
<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED" />
</intent-filter>
<intent-filter>
<action android:name="com.needham.PiesOfCode.LAUNCH_APP" />
</intent-filter>
</receiver>

</application>
</manifest>