A customer sent me a screenshot from Android, with a full width button at
the bottom with three dots, in addition to the "more choices" on the action
bar on the top.

This is not a desirable outcome.

However,
It does not occur on Galaxy Nexus.
It does not occur on any ICS emulators that I set up.
My brother in law had an HTC One X and I swear I did not see this behavior
with it. Unfortunately, he is not in town anymore.

Any idea on what I might be doing wrong?

I reviewed this:
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/01/say-goodbye-to-menu-button.html

And there are only a few things I don't understand:
"The only exception is that if you set minSdkVersion to 10 or lower, set
targetSdkVersion to 11, 12, or 13, and you do not use
ActionBar<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/ActionBar.html>,
the system *will* add the legacy overflow button when running your app *on
a handset* with Android 4.0 or higher."

MinSDK is 4, targetSDK is 12, but I am pretty sure I am using the
Actionbar. In any case, the behavior doesn't look like the screen they show
in the article, so it is likely a different issue.

"So, to ensure that the overflow action button never appears beside the
system navigation, you should set the targetSdkVersion to 14."

Hold on a second. We've had previous discussions about being too casual in
bumping up targetSDK versions. In particular, I know that AsyncTask is not
backwards compatible (in behavior). I'm not anxious to bump that up yet,
especially when I don't know if it will solve this problem, and I have to
find out what other problems it will cause.

Nathan