On Monday, June 11, 2012 9:03:02 PM UTC-7, Dianne Hackborn wrote:

> This was a deliberate decision in ICS, because we found a lot of
> applications that set their targetApiVersion to 11 so they wouldn't have
> the menu button on tablets, but assumed they would still have a menu button
> when running on a phone.
>

> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/os/Build.VERSION_CODES.html#ICE_CREAM_SANDWICH

I don't understand that reasoning, but I'm sure you've done the best you
can.

A person who set targetApiVersion to 11, would know that devices with 11
and up convert menus to action bars. Therefore, they would not expect to
need a menu button after version 11.

Sure, there might have been a time when I didn't know whether ICS was going
to use actionbars, or whether it might be using actionbars on tablets and
menus on phones. But I didn't ever expect that I would need a menu button
on a device that had an actionbar. I don't really miss menu buttons because
the users never found them anyway.  Now, on the HTC One X, they jump right
out at you, and you don't need them.

Nathan