Regarding how long it takes to install software in Eclipse:

There is a checkbox in the first software installation window, labeled
"contact all software sites". It's enabled by default.

Switching it off makes the installation and updates go much faster.

This requires that any dependencies are already installed, but, unless
you've originally installed the wrong Eclipse flavor, they should be.