More specific? Ehhhm, well, resources shared with other apps are
processor time and memory.  My app is Steel, a web browser. If I run
my app, without anything else (I can easily check the DDMS log to see
what's going on), It loads fast and fine, the on screen keyboard is
very repsonsive etc. Resources required are memory for one or more
WebView objects and processor time for rendering/event handling (what
others are there that I share with the other apps?)

If I had used other resource heavy apps before launching Steel (like
the other browser or maps), the UI is sluggish, pages take longer to
render, and event handling in the virtual keyboard is delayed. Until
they finally get cleared out, which can take some time.

And the OS developers are telling me that I should let the OS take
care of exiting the application/resource management. Which is fine,
but then I'd rather not see my application suffer from a bad design
choice in the OS (a little harsh, but you get my point).

Until that changes, all I can do is tell my users that it's not my
fault (although the only thing they see is my app), and that it is
supposed to be that way.

Michael