These are apps that have been running with no trouble at all for like 2
years.  Even when the last Android update came out, the widgets continued
along as if nothing had changed.
There is no manner of debugging I can do if my current debugging
environment doesn't show any problems at all.

I guess what I really want to know is if anyone is aware of changes to how
the widget update handler works in 6.0 as opposed to every prior release.

In any case...  I cannot even compile for 6.0 (23), unless I change my
authoring environment.  I've been using Eclipse all this time.  When I
tried to update that to the new set of SDKs, the whole thing broke.  Then I
find that the SDK is no longer supported with Eclipse.  I have to change
over to Android Studio.

Seriously...  That is a serious pain in the arse.  I like my environment
just fine.  And it took a long time to get comfortable with it.  Only for
them to say, "yeah, we're not gonna do that any more."
Having said that, if that's what I have to do, then so be it.  Just have to
find the time to work it all out.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/ec192cb8-0ded-4088-86e5-b090a36a787d%40googlegroups.com.